Thursday, October 4, 2012

Going PINK on Wednesdays!

Okay, I know it's Thursday. I am a day late. (What else is new??)

Also, this first post will not match the layout of the Wednesday's that follow.. but I hope you can bear with me and realize it's not about how it looks... it's about what it stands for.

October is the month for Breast Cancer Awareness. This touches many people personally, myself included.

For the month of October, every Wednesday I will be featuring a pink-related manicure to show my support and awareness. I am part of a team of blogs that all volunteered to be part of this project, started by Andrea at Finger Painting Fingers

Did you know that 1 in 8 women will develop some form of Breast Cancer in their lifetime? I know that I know more than 8 women... it's scary to wonder who, if any of them, might have to overcome this.

In 2012 alone, it is estimated that 39,510 women will die from breast cancer. Breast Cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, surpassed only by lung cancer. The chance that breast cancer will be responsible for a woman's death is about 1 in 36. (More info found: HERE )

Did you know that men can suffer from Breast Cancer as well? It is much more rare, but it still happens.  The problem with that is men are more likely to be diagnosed in later stages instead of early stages, because they are less likely to report symptoms.

What is most important? At this time there are more than 2.9 million breast cancer survivors in the United States. This includes women still being treated and those who have completed treatment.

So please, be diligent. Check your ta-ta's regularly, MEN and WOMEN!!

Here is my Pink-related mani for Oct 3rd. I used Sinful Colors "Forget Now", and Zoya "Shelby" with Essie "Blanc" as my accent ribbon on one hand. I am not very good at straight lines yet, as you can see! And I also made boo-boos and smudged it in a few places. But I had a lot of fun coming up with this mani, and I hope you enjoy !!!


With much love,

Tomboy Nails


No comments:

Post a Comment